Check out our pictures HERE!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

the oasis

140 kms later, we were supposed to already be in San Ignacio by our figuring. But as we crested yet another hill, there wasn`t a town to be seen and we could see for miles and miles, all the way to the base of the mountains further east. The landscape was beautiful, red rocky hills dotted with green cactus but it wasn`t what we were looking for.

We continued on a little further, wondering how we had managed to get lost in a land with only one road, and then we saw it. Not buildings or cars...palm trees. Millions of them, filling an entire valley and hiding the small oasis town of San Ignacio. As we approached, we could feel the air become more still and thick and you could smell the vegetation. The road made a final dip and suddenly we were under a palms and surrounded by lush green - the oasis!

We spent the evening exploring the 18th century mission and sampling the tacos on offer around the main square. And we like it so well, we`re going to spend the day here tomorrow. Quite a refreshing change after 600kms of cactus!

Christine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have been out of touch ladies. I lost the link to the webpage, and the spanish isn't that easy to remember! But, seek and ye shall find, and here I am again.

I big surprise for me Monday when I strolled out of Cosmic Grounds and a familiar voice pierced the minus 65 C air. I turned to find young Wendy strolling in from the parking lot with no coat on. I had no idea she was ending the journey! So we chatted for a little bit until her heart rate had slowed to hypothermic levels and then bid adieu.

So where and when do I meet you in Patagonia?

Happy trails