Check out our pictures HERE!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

my sanity is somewhere back in redwood national forest

We were cruising among the tallest trees in the world, dwarfed by their enormous trunks and nearly falling off our bikes when we tried to crane our necks far enough to see their very tops. It was amazing, albeit a little chilly in the shade, and we coasted slowly down the hill (we'd just laboured to the top of our biggest hill yet), stopping once in a while to take pictures of trees that were especially impressive.

We took a break near one giant that had been completely burned out in the middle and I had the brilliant idea of wheeling my bike right into it and parking it there for a picture. Easy enough. Unfortunately, getting the bike and bob back out of the tree wasn't quite as easy as getting it in and in the process (more of a brute force manoeuver than a process, actually), bent my derailleur hanger. Of course, I didn't know that that was the problem until I rode the screaming beast 20 miles to the next town with a bike shop after being unable to adjust it properly myself.

And boy did it scream. Even in my quiet gear, I was embarassed to be making so much noise when we would pass pedestrians or even cars with their window's open. Jodie and Wendy tried hard to keep their distance while I gritted my teeth and cursed under my breath the whole way to town. By the time we got here, I was at my nerve's end.

Thankfully a delicious bowl of ice cream and a local hero (Justin from Revolution Bicycle Repairs) were enough to save my sanity and me and my bike are both happy again. And I've promised not to force bob into any more awkward positions like that ever again.

~Christine

No comments: