Check out our pictures HERE!

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Rookie Tales: Part One

Tips for the Rookie Cycle Tourist.

I do have some touring experience. At the age of 21 I cycled around NZ for 3 months, so I thought I was well prepared for this 5 week tour de Cuba with my ultra-experienced amigas. However, I am finding some things different and there is a bit of a learning curve. I thought I would share some thoughts from the beginner´s point of view...

-Clipless pedals. They keep your feet attached to the pedals even when you are heading horizontal.

-Bike shorts closely resemble a diaper. Add tropical humid weather and day after day of cycling into the mix and voila! You´ve got diaper rash in no time at all!

-Muddy puddles... depth? Your guess is as good as mine.

-If everything hurts you are doing it right. If only one thing hurts or you look good at the end of the day, you are doing it wrong.

-Your BOB trailer goes where you go. Everywhere you go. But it bounces higher through the bumps, so look back now and again to see that everything is still attached to the top of it.

Vanessa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Owwwh... the learning curve sounds painful rookie Vanessa.
Enjoy once the calluses build up!
Love mom :)