Check out our pictures HERE!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My, What Big Teeth You Have!

Eight kms out of Manzanilla we came across a Crocidile farm, we had plenty of daylight so in we went. I had goosebumps in 38 degree heat for the enire tour through these little reptile corrals!!!

They were in concrete walled pens, that as far as I am concerned should have been a lot higher and held closed by more than rickety old rusting gates... There were all sizes and ages from this spring's babies to 10 yr old breeding stock. They just layed there, basking in the sun, mouths open and teeth waiting for some unsuspecting creature to make the wrong move... They seem to double in size every year and we figure the new ones are cute, the 5 yr olds are big lizards and a little scary and the adults are down right terrifying!

Some interesting details that Christine translated for us:

- they are fed once every five days and it's always some sort of remains from butcherd animals that people are eating

- they are used for their leather as well as for their meat

- each breeding pair lays 20-30 eggs every season that are burried in the sand, and get this - a crazy vetrinarian goes into the pen with them to dig them up and bring them to the incubator!!

The tour was very interesting and I am glad to have seen these animals, but I can guarantee that you're not going to catch me wandering around in a swamp anytime soon!

-Jodie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What? No wrestling???
I suppose that was the wise choice...

Anonymous said...

Does that vet get danger pay?
I don't think that's a job I'd like... in fact I know I wouldn't.
Alvina :)