Check out our pictures HERE!

Friday, October 10, 2008

Downhill, Snow and... Bicycles?!?!?

The last couple hours of pushing up and over the pass were snow covered and beautiful. However, as soon as we got over the pass and down to our campsite (at 3500m) we thought that we'd escaped the snow and were back to dirt roads. We had our dinner and went to bed - only to wake up to a fresh blanket of snow covering everything! Of course when I first crawled out of the tent I squeeled with excitement - as I do every year when I wake up to the first snowfall. The morning was sunny and beautiful but soon dissappeared and more of the white stuff started to fly... for the next three hours.

In the winter I live for snow and mountains, but because I love sliding down them on a snowboard. Sliding down on a bicycle is another story completely... it turned out to be a lot of good fun that was not without a couple of good crashes. Biking is very similar to driving a car down a really icy road,you can use your brakes but only until you feel a bit of a slide coming on and then you just have to correct it. Most times we came out lucky but there were a few that seemed like BOB had already commited to the fall and there was nothing you could do but go for the tuck and roll.

We loved the novelty of the snow ride, but were certianly ready for the freedom of dry roads when we hit them. The next couple of mornings (at -10C) we were reminded of the wet snow when our cables were frozen solid and we were unable to shift gears.

Maybe I should do my best to save the snow for the snowboard?

On second thought, I did just read a great quote, "The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is the attitude." - bring on the adventure!

-Jodie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodie,

We are enjoying thanksgiving here this weekend and, from the comfort of our home, I am enjoying reading your crazy adventures! It sounds like you are facing all possible challenges and seem to be winning out! I still can't believe how brave both of you are to face both the physical and cultural challenges. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

Shannon Van Natter